Saturday, May 4, 2013

Something Wicked.

(Day 4 of the challenge: A Favorite Quote)

I don't really have a favorite quote I love or live by. I often get stuck on favorite lines of song. .. But lately, I haven't been much inspired.

I have been reading this Ray Bradbury book recently, however, and have been surprised at how many little lines of prose that have struck me pleasing.  I am only about 100 or so pages in and have already highlighted the following passages:



"Some folks draw lightning, suck it like cats suck babies' breath."
A lightening rod salesman says this to the two main characters.  I found it a creepy analogy.

"The wind flew Jim away. A similar kite, Will swooped to follow."
 Love the imagery of this.

"Jim stood tall and now lay long in bed, strung together by marsh-grass, his bones easy in his flesh, his flesh easy on his bones."
Again, an eloquent way to describe melting into your bed at night.

"Sometimes you see a kite so high, so wise it almost knows the wind."

A of lot of kite/lightning/storm themes so far in the book.  Love the anthropomorphism of the kite. 

"Monsieur Guillotine cleared his throat.  And the blade, above, in the canvas sky, like a homing hawk scythed down.  Whisper-whisk-slither-thunder-rush-wham!"

Describing lightning/thunder as a guillotine.


"That deep eye showed swift as a bullet hole.  Hungry for Will, it found and ate of his image."
Another harrowing image, describing a man's leer at the main character.


I am looking forward to the rest of this book. A lot different from the well-know Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. .. So far, a good read. Something Wicked This Way Comes. 

No comments: