Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Fears.

(Day 7 of the challenge: What are you afraid of?)

Being surrounded and being alone.

It seems that I am terrified of polar opposites.  But maybe it makes sense.  Maybe it all stems from the same place.

I am afraid of being the center of the attention.  All eyes on me.  Of having everyone looking at me.  Waiting for me to say something.  Looking to me to explain.  It's like that dream where you're giving a huge speech, but all of a sudden you don't remember anything you were going to say.  And you're naked.  And everyone is laughing at you.

I am also afraid of solitude.  Of being rejected.  Of being cast off.  How would I handle if my husband left me?  If my friends shunned me?  If I was left alone to ponder why everyone decided to cut me out?  .. Probably not well.

Don't get me wrong.  There are things I do love about both of these opposites.  I thrive at standing in front of a group of tourists and telling them about my neighborhood.  I cherish the few mornings a week I have to myself in which I get to unwind, write, watch Chopped and pet the kitten.

I think a it's a lot about the feeling of inadequacy.  

But life gives you fears so you can conquer them.  
And all you can do is take it one day at a time.

No comments: